Locker Rooms For All: Complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act doesn’t mean having to sacrifice your space’s unique aesthetic. Hollman can adapt any locker design for ADA requirements and our benches incorporate safety and good design. We have the expertise to guide through all requirements to create beautiful, functional spaces for all.
Hollman Custom-Made ADA Benches
Built exclusively by Hollman, the OSLO ADA bench has rectangular stainless steel legs paired with a choice of either a butcher block or solid surface top. It can be mounted anywhere in a room to provide complete flexibility.
Alternately, any bench Hollman makes can be made ADA compliant by using our special hardware to mount it to a wall.
ADA Guidelines for Locker Rooms
- A clear floor space at least 30 in by 48 in complying with either a forward or parallel approach by a person using a wheelchair.
- Clothes rods or shelves shall be a maximum of 54 in and a minimum of 9 in. (48 inch maximum if the distance from accessible chair space to locker exceeds 10 inches)
- Hollman recommends the use of two-tier “B” style lockers with an adjustable shelf to provide maximum accessibility options.
- Spacing: A minimum of 30 inches clear space is required for parallel approach to a short end of a bench seat.
- Seat size: Benches must be 20-24 inches deep and a minimum of 42 inches long.
- Back support: Minimum of 42 inches long and begin no more than 2 inches above the seat, extending to at least 18 inches above the seat, or the bench can be affixed to the wall as an alternate back support.
- Seat height: Bench seat must be 17-19 inches above the floor.
- No higher than 48”
- Not require tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist
- Touch latches and U-shaped pulls are acceptable.
Suggested lock types:
- Keyless1 ADA (has built-in ADA compliant pull)
- Padlock hasp or high security padlock hasp with user supplied ADA compliant lock. (Hollman recommends: Masterlock 2650, 1525EZRC & 2076 series padlocks.)
- Digilock with pull and ADA key